Summer Camp, Remote Teaching, Library Corners
Program Lead : Felicia Yan, David Wang
Retired Program Lead: Jacky Chen, Michael Quinn
Advisor: Haiqin Wang
Email: [email protected]
SESP is expanding. In 2019, we will have two new summer camps in Sichuan and Shanghai in addition to Shanxi through our education support program. We are currently seeking program leads, chaperones, and volunteer teachers for each camp. Each of these roles has specific responsibilities and commitments described in its corresponding application form respectively. Please read carefully and make sure you understand the roles before you apply. You may find our Frequently Asked Questions helpful too.
If you are interested, Please fill the form for:
- leadership application by clicking here, or
- chaperones signup by clicking here, or
- volunteer teachers application by clicking here.
2018 Summer Camp Highlight:
The Shanxi Education Support project is designed for American kids to provide educational support to the underprivileged children in rural regions of Shanxi, China. In the process, these young volunteer teachers get the opportunity to live with local families in the village, experience folklife, learn local culture and heritage, and build teaching and leadership skills. It is truly an eye-opening and memorable experience.
We organize engaging, relevant activities for our volunteers to explore the regional culture, experience the rural living environment and interact with local students in Shanxi, an under-developed province in northwest China. We also raise funds and books to donate in order to help expand the school library to provide a better reading experience for young readers. Through these various activities, we hope to develop strong leadership and communication skills, but more importantly to demonstrate to our volunteers’ just how fortunate they are to have the convenient lifestyle of a modern city and teach them to appreciate what they have.
The project focuses on three types of activities: summer camp, remote teaching, library corners
We organize annual visit to local villages and provide educational support to the students there. During each summer break, we send a group of Little Masters to Dabaishui, a small village in Shanxi Province of China to teach the local students English, sports, dance, and various games. The activities included are:
- Teaching in local schools, playing, learning, interacting with local students, exchanging effective learning methods, sharing resources that benefit the local students’ education both academically and financially.
- Living with local families, visiting culture heritages such as ancient Buddhism temples and family ancestral hall, handcrafting local folk art;
- Hiking in local mountains, fishing in ponds, u-picking in orchard farms and other fun activities.
Note that there might be changes as necessary to ensure the fun and learning experiences of the participants as well as the contributed services to the local communities. We also keep improving the activities every year based on feedback from the participants.
We’ve been organizing the Shanxi Education Support Summer Camp and traveling to the same village since 2015. Many of the team members are returning teachers and they involved deeper and deeper in the project. Some became project leaders, actively plan the curriculum and activities, recruit younger and newer team members, and lead the whole team to have a fun and productive experience.
In 2016, we started remote teaching through real-time video connected to the local classrooms. We read English stories, introduce American cultures, help the students speak and read English as native speakers.
Most of our teachers are the high schoolers who visited the school during previous education support summer camps. Many of them are returning to the village again this year.
We collect used books for young readers at school age, especially those at elementary and middle schools. There are few English books in the local school’s library. Even its Chinese story books collection needs to be extended with quality books that really draw kids’ interest in reading.
We have six book collection stations in Seattle area: Kent, Sammamish, Redmond, Kenmore, Bellevue, Kirkland. There are a group of high school students helping collect the used books and record the book catalog. The collected books are then brought to a village in Shanxi and donated to the school’s library in the village.
We also raise funds for purchasing new juvenile books and donate them to the local schools. Subscriptions to online access to ebooks and teaching materials like Raz-Kids are also donated to the local schools for their class use.
In 2016, we have donated 500+ used juvenile English books and 2500+ new juvenile Chinese books to Facheng School in Dabaishui. We established 10 library corners, one in each classroom in the school.
In 2017, we donated 300+ English books, movies, CDs as supplement teaching materials. We also donated subscription to Raz-Plus for online English reading which allows 36 students to access 3000 leveled ebooks simultaneously.
- 4 continuous years of education support summer camp since 2015
- 4 program leaders recruited. 3 of them graduated into universities in 2017 and 2018 respectively
- 73 middle school and high school students volunteered teaching in the summer camp from 2015 to 2018
- 330+ total local students in Facheng School of Dabaishui Village, Shanxi Province, China, benefited from the teaching activities
- Remote teaching through the most popular social media, Wechat, to 4 classes (3-6th grade) of the school
- 10 library corners set up, one per classroom in the school
- 2500+ Chinese books, 800+ English books, movies, and many STEM materials donated to the school over these years
- 1 year subscription to Raz-Plus donated to the school in year 2017, which allows 36 simultaneous online access to 3000 leveled ebooks for English reading development
- organized and participated in fund raising events with the Gansu Education Support Team (GEST), raising $19240 collectively for financial aid to 56 students in China in 2017.
- Donated to the GEST fund pool and helped provide financial aid to 56 students in China in 2018.
Reimburse Form: Project Reimbursement /项目费用报销表
SESP is expanding. In 2019, we will have two new summer camps in Sichuan and Shanghai in addition to Shanxi through our education support program. We are currently seeking program leads, chaperones, and volunteer teachers for... Read More
对农村学校的图书馆的调研，使我了解到图书馆的藏书里英文图书的严重缺失。这使我产生了一些初浅的想法，就是集结大家的力量，把家里孩子们用过的好的图书捐献出来，赠送给学校，让山区的孩子们接触大量的优秀图书，特别是带有插图的趣味儿童读物，以及适合中小学生阅读的书籍，来弥补当地学校在这方面的不足。在这里抛砖引玉，是想激励一些有共同兴趣的朋友们，和我一起努力，把图书馆这个想法付诸行动，为山区的孩子们带去他们稀缺的精神食粮。 Read More