Summer Camp, Remote Teaching, Library Corners
Due to Covid-19 pandemic, we decided to cancel our 2020 SESP summer camp.
Instead, we spent our project fund on personal protective equipment purchases. We’ve donated 10000 disposable face masks to the Chinese school we usually teach at in summer, and 1000 N95 respirators to the local hospitals in Greater Seattle area.
SESP-Education Support Program
Who We Are
SESP is an Educational Support Program in Little Masters Club.
Our goal is to provide an enriching educational experience to the students where our programs are located, while simultaneously providing a transformative opportunity for volunteers to learn and grow as a team member as well as lead and inspire as a teacher. We have expanded from Shanxi to two other locations: Shanxi Qincheng and Shanghai.
Advisory Board: Felicia Yan, David Wang, Haiqin Wang
- Sichuan: Kevin Yan, Sophia Fang
- Shanghai: Helena Feng, Faye Zhang
- Shanxi: Elizabeth Yan, Jessie Xu
Email: [email protected]
Application Forms: (Application for 2019 is closed now.)
2019 Summer Camp Highlight
The Shanxi Education Support project is designed for American kids to provide educational support to the underprivileged children in rural regions of Shanxi, China. In the process, these young volunteer teachers get the opportunity to live with local families in the village, experience folklife, learn local culture and heritage, and build teaching and leadership skills. It is truly an eye-opening and memorable experience.
We organize engaging activities for our volunteers to explore the regional culture, experience the rural living environment and interact with local students in Shanxi, an under-developed province in northwest China. We also raise funds and books to donate in order to help expand the school library to provide a better reading experience for young readers. Through these various activities, we hope to develop strong leadership and communication skills, but more importantly to demonstrate to our volunteers’ just how fortunate they are to have the convenient lifestyle of a modern city and teach them to appreciate what they have.
The project focuses on three types of activities: summer camp, remote teaching, library corners
We organize annual visit to local villages and provide educational support to the students there. During each summer break, we send a group of Little Masters to Dabaishui, a small village in Shanxi Province of China to teach the local students English, sports, dance, and various games. The activities included are:
- Teaching in local schools, playing, learning, interacting with local students, exchanging effective learning methods, sharing resources that benefit the local students’ education both academically and financially.
- Living with local families, visiting culture heritages such as ancient Buddhism temples and family ancestral hall, handcrafting local folk art;
- Hiking in local mountains, fishing in ponds, u-picking in orchard farms and other fun activities.
Note that there might be changes as necessary to ensure the fun and learning experiences of the participants as well as the contributed services to the local communities. We also keep improving the activities every year based on feedback from the participants.
We’ve been organizing the Shanxi Education Support Summer Camp and traveling to the same village since 2015. Many of the team members are returning teachers and they involved deeper and deeper in the project. Some became project leaders, actively plan the curriculum and activities, recruit younger and newer team members, and lead the whole team to have a fun and productive experience.
In 2016, we started remote teaching through real-time video connected to the local classrooms. We read English stories, introduce American cultures, help the students speak and read English as native speakers.
Most of our teachers are the high schoolers who visited the school during previous education support summer camps. Many of them are returning to the village again this year.
We collect used books for young readers at school age, especially those at elementary and middle schools. There are few English books in the local school’s library. Even its Chinese story books collection needs to be extended with quality books that really draw kids’ interest in reading.
We have six book collection stations in Seattle area: Kent, Sammamish, Redmond, Kenmore, Bellevue, Kirkland. There are a group of high school students helping collect the used books and record the book catalog. The collected books are then brought to a village in Shanxi and donated to the school’s library in the village.
We also raise funds for purchasing new juvenile books and donate them to the local schools. Subscriptions to online access to ebooks and teaching materials like Raz-Kids are also donated to the local schools for their class use.
In 2016, we have donated 500+ used juvenile English books and 2500+ new juvenile Chinese books to Facheng School in Dabaishui. We established 10 library corners, one in each classroom in the school.
In 2017, we donated 300+ English books, movies, CDs as supplement teaching materials. We also donated subscription to Raz-Plus for online English reading which allows 36 students to access 3000 leveled ebooks simultaneously.
- 5 continuous years of education support summer camp since 2015
- 10 program leaders recruited.
- 118 middle school and high school students volunteered teaching in the summer camp from 2015 to 2019
- 600+ total local students in Shanxi Province, China, benefited from the teaching activities (2019) alone
- Remote teaching through the most popular social media, Wechat, to 4 classes (3-6th grade) of Facheng School in Shanxi
- 20 library corners set up, one per classroom in the schools
- 13500+ Chinese books, 800+ English books, movies, and many STEM materials donated to the schools over these years
- 1 year subscription to Raz-Plus donated to the school in year 2017, which allows 36 simultaneous online access to 3000 leveled ebooks for English reading development
- organized and participated in fund raising events with the Gansu Education Support Team (GEST), raising $19240 collectively for financial aid to 56 students in China in (2017).
- Donated to the GEST fund pool and helped provide financial aid to 56 students in China (2018).
- Provided financial aids to 10 students in Facheng school (2019)
- Donated 1000 K95 respirators to the Overlake Medical Center. and 10000 disposable face masks to Facheng School in Shanxi, China (2020)
Reimburse Form: Project Reimbursement /项目费用报销表
2019 Summary Youtube Video 2019 Summary Youku Video 2019 SESP Shanxi – What did our Parent say? 2019 SESP Shanxi Reflection–Eric Guo 2019 SESP Shanxi Reflection–Max Wang 2019 SESP Shanxi Reflection–Erika Ni 2019 SESP Shanxi... Read More
【王海琴编者按语】小老师倪若琪今年第一次参加支教。她是小大师艺术组的主要领导人之一，平时在西雅图小大师总部都有定期组织艺术手工活动，免费带小弟弟妹妹们做各种手工艺术品。这次在支教期间除了带二年级班学习英语之外，还当仁不让地带了艺术绘画组，带学生们画了色彩斑斓、极具表现力的舞蹈布景。 By: Erika Ni 倪若琪 Now that SESP Shanxi 2019 is over, I’d like to say a big thank you to everyone who made this amazing camp possible. Thank you so much to all the... Read More
【王海琴编者按语】朱珂忆老师今年第一次参加支教。她与燕天语小老师珠联璧合，把舞蹈课外班带得相当出彩。 By: Julia Zhu 朱珂忆 ◦ SESP 2019 ◦ I cannot believe it’s been two weeks already ☹️ I learned so much from this amazing experience and made lots of great friendships 😀 I’ll miss... Read More
【王海琴编者按语】叶田田老师很认真地做每周小结。下面这篇是第二周overall的总结，还是中英文双版的。从给学生发奖的一件小事情上，推断出老师与学生的关系演化，一看就是认真思考勤于总结的好老师👍 Author: Kailani Ye 叶田田 • july 22 – 26 and overall • The two weeks flew by too fast, it’s so hard to let everything go. It’s hard to imagine that in just ten... Read More
【王海琴编者按语】今年徐子嘉做colead，与燕天语一起领导法成学校支教队的准备工作。虽然两位女将安静寡言，但是依然带领大家把课程计划得细致入微。也因为她们带的班还是去年那个班，与学生们比较熟悉，课堂秩序也很好 Author: Jessie Xu 徐子嘉 I’m a very private person and don’t usually like to post my thoughts online, but this year’s program has had a significant impact on me, so after quite some time,... Read More
SESP is expanding. In 2019, we will have two new summer camps in Sichuan and Shanghai in addition to Shanxi through our education support program. We are currently seeking program leads, chaperones, and volunteer teachers for... Read More
《曾经的你》演唱会是由CHIME乐队及其朋友们倾情奉献，小大师聚乐部协助组织，Stone Lounge 提供场地的一场酒吧驻唱形式的现场演唱会，所有收入将通过明日中华教育基金会用来资助国内的贫困学生。 时间：2017.12.30 7:30-10:30PM 地点：Stone Lounge, 1020 Bellevue Way Northeast, Bellevue, WA, 98004 票价：VIP: $150/5人 （包桌，含小吃及酒水一杯） Regular：$30/人 （含小吃及酒水一杯） Read More