Summer Camp, Remote Teaching, Library Corners
Program Lead : Felicia Yan, David Wang
Retired Program Lead: Jacky Chen, Michael Quinn
Advisor: Haiqin Wang
2017 Summer Camp Highlight:
On Little Masters 1on1 News Media:
The Shanxi Education Support project is designed for American kids to provide educational support to the underprivileged children in rural regions of Shanxi, China. In the process, the American kids get opportunities to live with the local families in village, experience folk life, learn local culture and heritage, and build teaching and leadership skills. It is truly an eye opening and memorable experience.
We organize appropriate activities for our kids to explore the regional culture, experience the rural living environment, and interact with local students in Shanxi, an under-developed province in northwest China. We also raise fund and promote book donations to help the local schools expand their book collections for young readers. Through the various integrated activities, we expect to enhance the kids’ appreciation of their convenient live styles in modern cities and their willingness to contribute to the development of the underprivileged societies.
The project focuses on three types of activities: summer camp, remote teaching, library corners
We organize annual visit to local villages and provide educational support to the students there. During each summer break, we send a group of Little Masters to Dabaishui, a small village in Shanxi Province of China to teach the local students English, sports, dance, and various games. The activities included are:
- Teaching in local schools, playing, learning, interacting with local students, exchanging effective learning methods, sharing resources that benefit the local students’ education both academically and financially.
- Living with local families, visiting culture heritages such as ancient Buddhism temples and family ancestral hall, handcrafting local folk art;
- Hiking in local mountains, fishing in ponds, u-picking in orchard farms and other fun activities.
Note that there might be changes as necessary to ensure the fun and learning experiences of the participants as well as the contributed services to the local communities. We also keep improving the activities every year based on feedback from the participants.
We’ve been organizing the Shanxi Education Support Summer Camp and traveling to the same village since 2015. Many of the team members are returning teachers and they involved deeper and deeper in the project. Some became project leaders, actively plan the curriculum and activities, recruit younger and newer team members, and lead the whole team to have a fun and productive experience.
In 2016, we started remote teaching through real-time video connected to the local classrooms. We read English stories, introduce American cultures, help the students speak and read English as native speakers.
Most of our teachers are the high schoolers who visited the school during previous education support summer camps. Many of them are returning to the village again this year.
We collect used books for young readers at school age, especially those at elementary and middle schools. There are few English books in the local school’s library. Even its Chinese story books collection needs to be extended with quality books that really draw kids’ interest in reading.
We have six book collection stations in Seattle area: Kent, Sammamish, Redmond, Kenmore, Bellevue, Kirkland. There are a group of high school students helping collect the used books and record the book catalog. The collected books are then brought to a village in Shanxi and donated to the school’s library in the village.
We also raise funds for purchasing new juvenile books and donate them to the local schools. Subscriptions to online access to ebooks and teaching materials like Raz-Kids are also donated to the local schools for their class use.
In 2016, we have donated 500+ used juvenile English books and 2500+ new juvenile Chinese books to Facheng School in Dabaishui. We established 10 library corners, one in each classroom in the school.
In 2017, we donated 300+ English books, movies, CDs as supplement teaching materials. We also donated subscription to Raz-Plus for online English reading which allows 36 students to access 3000 leveled ebooks simultaneously.
- 3 continuous years of education support summer camp since 2015
- 4 program leaders recruited. 2 of them graduated into universities in 2017
- 50 middle school and high school students volunteered teaching in the summer camp till July, 2017
- 300+ total local students in Facheng School of Dabaishui Village, Shanxi Province, China, benefited from the teaching activities
- Remote teaching through the most popular social media, Wechat, to 4 classes (3-6th grade) of the school
- 10 library corners set up, one per classroom in the school
- 2500+ Chinese books, 800+ English books, movies and CDs donated to the school over the 3 years period
- 1 year subscription to Raz-Plus donated to the school in year 2017, which allows 36 simultaneous online access to 3000 leveled ebooks for English reading development
- organized and participated in fund raising events with the Gansu Education Support Team, raising $19240 collectively for financial aid to students in China.
Reimburse Form: Project Reimbursement /项目费用报销表
2018年夏天的山西支教行已经在准备阶段，我们每年春季的Goodwill Truck筹款活动今年首先在Newport High进行！以前几年筹得的款项，我们为山西的学校购买了图书建立图书角，还有更新网络教学用的硬件设备。今年希望大家可以继续支持孩子们，在这春暖花开的季节，收拾出家里不用的旧物，即清理了住处，又支持教育，一举两得！我们也欢迎高中生当天来做义工！ 时间：4/22 周日 上午10点 – 下午2点 地点：Newport High School，4333 Factoria Blvd SE, Bellevue, WA 98006， Goodwill大卡车会停在靠近Factoria Blvd的学校停车场。 所收物品：旧衣服，玩具， 鞋， 箱包， 家用品，小电器，床上，厨房用品，体育用具，花园工具等，几乎所有东西都在接收范围之内（床垫，危险品，比床头柜大的家具除外）。 Read More
燕思语和燕天语将于2018年7月15-28日前往山西省闫庄白水村进行为期两周的支教，她们以此项目为山西支教募捐筹集资金。这次募捐讲座计划一共开三期，分别是： 腿脚训练，柔韧性训练，身体素质训练。 本次为第一讲：腿脚训练 时间: 3/10, Saturday, 6:30pm-8:30pm 讲座对象： 5-10岁业余学习芭蕾，艺术体操的女孩和母亲 讲座地点：小大师办公室（Blaze Education）2439 152nd Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052 建议捐款：$30+ 通过演示互动的方式介绍： 讲座内容： 笔直的膝盖和漂亮的足弓是芭蕾和艺术体操动作优美的基础，这次讲座重点演示讲解膝盖腿脚基本功的家庭练功方法。 讲座将会从芭蕾基训、素质训练、压三个不同的方面进行演示和讲解。 对于未来不想以芭蕾和艺术体操为专业的初学者来说，比天赋更重要的是训练方法。－燕思语 Speaker Bio： 燕思语 美国体操协会（USAG）注册专业艺术体操教练 美国体操协会（USAG）Region 2 （西北赛区10州）2016-2017年度最佳教练 （Coach of the Year） 美国体操协会... Read More
女孩子进入高中之后，除了可以参加各种体育和社会活动俱乐部外，还可以选择加入学校的啦啦队（Cheer) 和仪仗队（Drill)。很多人对啦啦队比较熟悉，但对仪仗队了解不多, 不知道它和啦啦队有什么区别。 作为孩子们今年山西支教之行的筹款活动之一，我们找到现在Bellevue高中仪仗队的姑娘们给大家介绍这项运动和做简单的培训。如果家里有对舞蹈或者体操感兴趣的孩子，想要在高中尝试一下这项有趣又健康的集体活动，千万不要错过这次机会！ 时间：2月25号（周日）下午：12:00-2：00 地点：2439 152nd Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052 Read More
对农村学校的图书馆的调研，使我了解到图书馆的藏书里英文图书的严重缺失。这使我产生了一些初浅的想法，就是集结大家的力量，把家里孩子们用过的好的图书捐献出来，赠送给学校，让山区的孩子们接触大量的优秀图书，特别是带有插图的趣味儿童读物，以及适合中小学生阅读的书籍，来弥补当地学校在这方面的不足。在这里抛砖引玉，是想激励一些有共同兴趣的朋友们，和我一起努力，把图书馆这个想法付诸行动，为山区的孩子们带去他们稀缺的精神食粮。 Read More